The NOE is responsible to the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference for:
- Ensuring the efficient operations and ongoing viability of the Catholic Enquiry Centre as an agency of the ACBC in its own right, especially in its outreach to those enquiring about the Catholic faith.
- Assisting and supporting the Bishops in their work of promoting and developing works of evangelization, taking into account the needs of the great diversity of cultures and environments across Australia, with special attention given to Catholics who are not connected with the life of the Church.
- Raising the profile of evangelization throughout the Church in Australia
- Acting as a national base for disseminating information about successful outreach initiatives
- Making connections across Catholic organisations, including with diocesan-based agencies for the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults for those wanting to formalise their relationship with the Catholic Church.
- Assisting dioceses to have access to sufficient resources and opportunities for training to allow effective evangelization, including providing encouragement to seek new ways to preach the gospel.
- Promoting the sharing of the Good News in families, workplaces, parishes and schools and through the media.